Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Few Things I Have Learned Lately:

Sorry I have been gone so long. I spent my weekend in Ocala leading a bunch of 9th grade girls in a disciple now weekend. So here is a list of things I have learned over the last week or two:


Ninth Grade girls. They can really put down their junk food.


Sleep, is essential. Even when you are running on a million cups of coffee and an entire bag of starbursts.


Little girls DO steal, in case you didn't know, and I had to "catch one," stealing a pullout from a magazine.... A WebKinz poster. Poor kid. Fortunately it was her father who caught and reprimanded her, but she had to turn it in to me.


My husband likes to put red chili flakes on everything, and today, he put them in his vegetable soup. Weird.


The neighbors near us (above, below, or beside, I can't tell from where,) have an unhealthy obsession of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On. That would explain why I keep having strange tragic boat dreams. I really wish they would stop.


It IS strange to meet the person who got the job you were interviewing for. I met her yesterday at work and found out she has been teaching for 20+ years, and the job at Norton was the ONLY interview she got. I'm screwed.


It's very possible that my two supervisors are having an... um... "fling," together. One of them will be on duty and the other will just show up, for the heck of it, then they will disappear into the office for a while. Also weird.


Just because a tropical storm is projected to come your way, doesn't mean it will. Think of it like a two year old boy. You never know what's going to happen.


People start to be very generous to you when they find out you're poor and broke. Eulie almost bought us a trashcan. But then he didn't. And now I am still without a trash can. But we are very close!


Quilts are interesting to make. Because. You see. The sewing isn't so bad, it's the figuring out what "quilting," actually means. I kind of forgot about that part.


And finally, it is very easy to get behind in things. Like blogging. Emailing. Phone calls. and book club reading. I'm working on it. Hopefully I will be all caught up soon.


Below are some of the pictures of my quilt making process, though I haven't taken any since I actually began sewing them all together, that's to come later.


Also, Ian and I leave to go see his grandfather and step grandmother (Pop and Sylvia,) tomorrow, in Helen, GA. We'll probably only be there for 2 days, and we'll definately be home by Friday night. Pictures and stories to come.





3 comments:

Love is the Movement said...

I think several things are essential here.
Obviously you arent catching up on the Olympics since that wasnt in your post.
Also, I find that various age groups might feel the age to steal. So that fact that it was 9th grade doesnt surprise me. Personally I intensely remember when I was 3 or 4 when I took a fake flower from Michaels and my mother made me return it...
I am very sad that you dont have a trashcan! I definitely would have brought you one but I thought you sister was...Also, a trashcan is very subjective to the couple. I'm not sure if you're the person who likes to have the trashcan under the sink or in the pantry.
I cant wait to live in Gainesville again, despite the TS.
I've been looking up the various events put on by UF and I'm excited that maybe we can do stuff together at some point in time!

Emily said...

Brittney, I LOVE your wit!! Your quilt looks like it's going to be really pretty! We're all still home because Seminole County canceled school for Wednesday too! I agree with you on the 2 year old boy comparison to a storm...maybe that's why Zachary is the way he is?! He was born after the 3 big hurricanes, three weeks early!
We love and miss you! I'll have the kiddos email ya today!

Marsha C said...

I can't wait to see how far you have gotten in the quilt making. It looks like lots of fun. Love ya,
Momma