Monday, December 8, 2008

Interesting Reads...

I spent my evening curled up on the couch, watching TLC, and grading the November prompts for writing. The prompt was "what is your favorite time of year," but it seems like most kids just took the first season that popped into their head and ran with it. They just wrote a story that took place during that season, slapped a title on it, and called it writing.

EVEN, the kid who wrote about how Fall is his favorite time of year because he gets to use his gun to hunt deer-and then once they catch deer, he and his dad (father/son bonding maybe?) get to gut it and bury its guts in the ground.

I was kind of appalled.

Then I focused my attention back on Reba and was happy again.

On another note, my day was WONDERFUL and the kiddos were great. AND I got my insurance packet, so, pretty soon, I am going to be a married, INSURED, teacher. It's pretty amazing, let me tell you what.

Also, next week, I get my first and second paychecks.

Watch out, because I might just catch flame.

I am that on fire.

Or, at least I feel like it.

One good day down, hopefully four more to come.

2 comments:

Love is the Movement said...

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that The Limited at the mall is closing. And we're not really telling people, so its still kind of hush hush [I figured your blog was safe], but sales are starting Dec 19 and liquidation/clearance prices are going to be pretty insane, so I just thought I'd let you know.
That way if you need any professional/teaching clothes you'd be in the know ahead of everyone else if you wanted to get stuff before sizes are all gone.

Have a great week!

Emily said...

Well, the hunting essay may have been appalling, but it was at the very least memorable!! Let me guess- the other essays were about Christmas? I've been helping out in Sophie's class with writing and Sophie's teacher is trying to get them to be creative and write stories instead of just spiting out narrations of what they have experienced. We're still waiting for a real story! It's like trying to pull teeth to get them to write something- ANYTHING- imaginative! So don't get discouraged- I think this is the plight of a state that is teaching to a test and too many kids being plugged into various media instead of using their imaginations to play. Wooo Hooo- married, insured, and getting a pay check! Brittney my love, you are a grown up!! YIKES!