Saturday, June 20, 2009

Girl-i-fied

I was thinking about it today, and discussing with Ian and then Katie, about how much more "girly," I am now, then I was two years ago.

I used to not care if we ran around outside, playing football, going rock climbing, working out, playing with the kiddos outisde.... it didn't matter!

All of a sudden, it's a big pain though. Not because I don't like doing those things, but because if I do those things, I will have to shower, and refix my hair!

Let me explain. I have super thick, long, curly hair. So when I shower, which is usually about 20 minutes long, and get out, I have to wait about 20-30 minutes for my hair to be dry enough to do anything with it.

And in case you have been living under a rock, and are wondering why I just don't take a blow dryer to it, let me just tell you that blow dryers + curly hair = 1970's afro. Not so good.

Then, once I take the 3-5 minutes to actually FIX my hair, it takes another 2-3 hours for it to be dry!

Seriously.

My hair holds onto water like it's in the Mojave Desert.

Sheesh.

So, by the time that's all clean, fixed, and dried, it is 3-4 hours later. And if I get all hot and sweaty, I'd have to Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

No, thank you.

Besides, I value my time greatly (well, not so much right now, seeing as I am the unemployed married woman living with her inlaws,) but I do understand the value and worth of a two hour block of time, and I don't want to be wasting that much time if necessary.

So, for instance, today, when our college group met for a game of Ultimate Frisbee, I opted out, and sat on the sidelines. It actually didn't even look fun, because I knew how hot and sweaty everyone was.

So, that's it. Just my thoughts on the matter, and how I have noticed how I have changed over the past couple of years and left my childhood stage of being carefree and messy!

Also, my new mantra just might be ....

"I don't mind getting dirty, as long as I can get clean again."

3 comments:

Jessica said...

My hair is exactly like that! It's such a pain. I usually just end up blow drying it (which takes FOREVER with my thick layers upon layers of hair) and straightening it, because that's faster than letting it air dry! Except in the summer humidity it just curls up again anyway. I envy people who can just jump out of the shower, blow dry their hair, and be done with it!

Callie said...

I know exactly what you mean - I'm just like that too. And I have curly hair as well. I'd rather not get dirty or wet, because it just takes too much effort to get clean and pretty-looking again!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Oh man...I understand the curly hair + holding on to water! Same here!