Thursday, August 4, 2011

De-Swaddled

So far, I'm pretty happy with the choices we have made as new parents. We're flexible, she's sleeping through the night, she's happy and healthy. What more could a mom ask for?

But as most of you know, the bane of my existence is her swaddle.

That darn swaddle!

It is SO important to alot of babies, because of the under developed nervous system, to be swaddled tight and secure during their sleep time, however, as they grow stronger, they are able to wriggle out of it, which wakes them up, and makes the parent have to swaddle them again, and start the routine all over.

Now, if I was in America, I would have just bought a Miracle Blanket or something similar, but we didn't have that option here, so we've resorted to swaddling her and "tying" a ribbon around the swaddle to keep it from coming undone.

It's quite the ordeal.

I had plans on weaning Grace from her swaddle sometime in her fourth or fifth month, and I was not looking forward to the process.

Finally though, we have seen a break through. The other morning, I was getting ready to go out on errands and had to put Grace down for a minute. She was happy and content, so I popped her pacifier in, turned on her mobile, and layed her in her crib unswaddled. I took a shower and when I came out, this is what I found!

Sweet baby girl had completely passed out. She only slept for 30 minutes before her flailing arms woke her up, but I say it's a start! We did it one more time since then and it worked! One more additional time, she fell asleep after I got her dressed for bed but before I had fed her again. Such a difference from just one month ago!

I'm in no rush to de-swaddle her for good, because it makes her seem like such a little baby still, but it will be nice when she is able to soothe herself back to sleep!

It is possible!

8 comments:

Natalie said...

That's great! I hope it's a quick and painless process for you both :)

Lauren said...

Aww...so sweet! I hope things stay so easy!

Mrs. Lopez said...

My daughter hates to be swaddled. We swaddle her at night but with her arms out.

Amber said...

Honestly, the sleep/swaddle sacks have their flaws too. Eden can break out of it in minutes...and thus the swaddling went out the window for us!

Ashley said...

I LOVE swaddles! We just used regular receiving blankets, wrapped tight, and my son slept like that until he was about 11 months! It was the only way he would do it. Then one day he decided he didn't want to anymore. Just like that.

Alison said...

CG used to sleep with her hands raised up over her head like that! We called it the "hallelujah pose"! :)

The Barker's said...

What a sweet baby! I love how their arms are alwYs so stretched out haha. So cute! We are still swaddling iris and I'm nervous to stop doing it!

Callie said...

Sheesh, I'm so behind on commenting! Grace is so cute - Wyatt used to sleep in that exact same position!