Saturday, September 8, 2012

Virtual Baby Shower


 A year and a half ago, my dearest friends attempted to throw me and my first baby a virtual baby shower using Skype. Unfortunately, Grace decided to make her appearance on the very day that it was set to take place.

This time, with Sophia, they were able to put a shower together way before Sophia makes her arrival.

So, today, several hours before my husband settled down for a night of college football, I settled down into my chair with my computer to attend Sophia's baby shower!

My friend, Courtney, hosted, and she decorated and made breakfast for the guests. I wish I had pictures of everything because it looked so cute, and the food looked delicious!

I got to see my friends all in one room, which I don't think has happened since I skyped in to tell them that we were expecting a GIRL in December of 2010. Since then, we've just been doing individual skype calls instead of group ones.

These are girls that I have been friends with for years, three of them since before 6th grade! One of the biggest surprises was to see my friend Courtney on a computer screen! She moved away several years ago and I didn't think that she would "be" here at all!

Left to Right: Courtney, Jessica, Jaci, Katie, and Courtney (on the computer).

And Grace and I attending the baby shower!

We played two games- one where they guessed what characteristics I wanted Sophia to get from Ian and I. Most of the physical attributes I wanted her to get from me, because, well, I'm a girl, and I just can't imagine Ian's fingers, legs, nose, or toes, on a little girl, ha! But most of the personality traits I wanted Sophia to get from Ian, like his laugh, coordination, sense of humor, and punctuality. The second game was where we all tried to see how many  words, three letters or me, we could come up from baby's name- Sophia Anne. Courtney (computer) got 32 different words! That was the record for our group.

We opened gifts and my friends felt really weird opening their own gifts that they had brought. Sophia got several cute pajamas (my favorite clothing item to put a baby in- footie pajamas! Grace lived in them until she was almost 6 months old,) onesies, outfits, receiving blankets, and pacifiers (we can't buy my favorite kind here.) I love that Sophia will have a few things that are all "hers" and not all hand me downs from Grace- though Grace's baby clothes are in awesome shape.

My friend Katie arrived near the end of it all (yes, we have two Katie's and two Courtney's in our group.) She had just dropped her husband off at the airport for an extended business trip and was sad- so sweet for her to come anyways!

I'm so blessed to have friends who woke up super early on their Saturday morning to get together and throw Sophia and I this shower! Thank you, friends! It meant so much to me!


Left to Right: Courtney, Jessica, Jaci, and Katie

7 comments:

Rachel and John said...

That is so incredibly kind! What awesome friends you have!!

The Taffs said...

Aww, that's so neat! Glad y'all could get together, even from opposite ends of the Earth. Technology can be wonderful!

Jessica said...

Aww, what a sweet idea! And fun that you got to see everyone at once!

Emily Powell said...

what a cute idea!

Cara said...

What a fun idea. Your friends are so sweet! :)

Tami said...

What awesome friends! I'm sure it's hard not being there to celebrate with them but it's so neat that you got to do it over Skype! We are so lucky to have such awesome technology, aren't we?

Kristin said...

Fun! We recently did this with my cousin who lives in Germany.