Saturday, October 27, 2012

{Freezer Meal} Lasagna

I love lasagna, but it is a little daunting to make.

Because of that, I have never made it.

That, and the fact that I have a deep love for store bought, frozen lasagna. Don't ask.

That is, until about a month ago, when I finally spotted ricotta cheese in a grocery store. Ian was able to track down some sausage too, meaning I had the ingredients to finally try my hand at making lasagna.

And to add pressure to my first lasagna experience, we were having dinner guests. AND I was doubling the recipe so that I could freeze it.

I found a recipe, over at Annie's Eats that seemed relatively simple. I won't bore you with instruction and pictures, since her recipe is beautifully written and illustrated.

I love the taste of this lasagna and the simplicity of the instructions. When doubling the recipe, be careful on your noodles in he pot, as you don't want to crowd them and they tend to stick together. I also realized I like a little more cheese than what the recipe called for- I would probably use 4 cups of mozzarella cheese per recipe.

To double and freeze:
1.) Double the recipe.
2.) Cook portion intended for freezer for at least 30 minutes (because of the raw egg.)
3.) Allow to cool completely
4.) Cover and freeze

Pretty easy and I can't wait to have our second portion of this recipe!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love lasagna, but I always thought it was so difficult! However, I've found oven ready noodles that you don't have to cook & I use canned sauce (just as yummy and so much less work) so it's really not all that bad. Of course now I'm just wishing that I had doubled the batch I made on Friday so I'd have one already made up in the freezer!