Wednesday, December 25, 2013

{Christmas 2013}

The Christmas lights are still twinkling in the background as I write this, but there will probably not be any more Christmas music on and all of the presents have been unwrapped. And don't even get me started about how three (yes, three!) pie plates will be empty by morning.

Christmas 2013 is coming to a quiet and peaceful end in the Galloway household tonight. The girls went to bed early out of sheer exhaustion and the adults cleaned up the house and played a board game.

(And can I just say, I still think it is weird that I am part of the "adult" group at get togethers, even at 26!)

We did things a little backwards this year. We did Christmas Eve service and Ian's brother's church, an easy hamburger on the grill dinner, and then we did family present time. It was a beautiful chaos. Paper was literally flying in all directions and I sat back, jaw dropped, at my two children, nay, hyenas, who tore through packages faster than they can drink a juice box.

Ian's younger brother passed out the presents like he was dealing cards and before I knew it, everyone else had opened all of their gifts but I hadn't even touched mine! I got the girls set up playing with new toys and then was able to quietly open gifts by myself.

The last present we opened was the girls Christmas pajamas and then we read the Nativity story to them before bed.

Christmas morning started off with a sweet gift of Sophia sleeping until nearly 7! I got up with her and started on breakfast- cinnamon rolls, orange rolls, and bacon wrapped lil smokies. Breakfast of champions, right?

Ian, his mom, and Grace woke up about 7:30 and then we moved on to presents. I had wanted for us to be able to open presents on Christmas day, since that is our tradition, so we set aside our gifts for each other and for the girls for Christmas morning. The girls opened their stockings and then played with the dollhouse that had been set up in front of the tree while Ian and I opened our stockings. Oddly enough, one of the DVD's Ian got me was still in its security case! I guess I'm going  to have to take it back and see if they will open it up.

The girls gifts were opened in about ten minutes and then Ian's parents took the girls out to the kitchen to eat breakfast. Ian and I opened up our gifts to each other before moving on with our morning.

I took my time and leisurely cooked until about 1 pm, while Ian took care of the girls and messed around with his new PS4 (not a Christmas present but he just got it.)

Ian's brothers and sister in law arrived and then we all sat down to a huge meal of honey baked ham, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, hot curried fruit, and squash. The girls went down for their nap in the middle of lunch (they were DONE!) and then we went out to see Anchorman 2 while Ian's parents stayed back with the girls.

We met them at the park after the movie and played with the girls for awhile before going back home. We were able to skype with my family which was a really sweet time for us.

We had leftovers for dinner, got the girls back in their Christmas pajamas, then put them to bed by 7.

All of us big kids played Ticket to Ride until bedtime, wrapping up a fun couple of days of family activities.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and that you remembered to slow down and enjoy the moments and memories. Give a  hug and a kiss to those that you love and tell them why you appreciate them!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: